Printer Table: Started and Finished

I finished this project in months instead of years. It’s like I blinked and had a finished project! It went went together so fast it was done and in service before I thought to take pictures.

I wanted to build a table to hold the printer and its various supplies. I also wanted to get some electronics equipment off the floor and tidy things up. So I planned a table using the Festool Domino. It was meant to be a quick project. I had purchased some sapele before the pandemic for the project: a one inch thick board for the top and a two inch thick board for legs. I started by joining the top together with the “dominoes” which are small wooden rectangles that go into the mortise on each side of the joint. The dominoes for a tabletop are just meant to help with alignment, but I must have jiggled the machine because my slots ended up misaligned, so I left many of the mortises I cut empty. The completed sapele top looks like this.

Sapele table top glued up from three boards. The sapele stripe figure hides the board joints quite well.

I cut the legs from the two inch thick wood and then sawed the remaining wood thinner to use for aprons.
I wanted to make the table rigid so it wouldn’t shake while the printer was working, so I made the aprons as tall as the board allowed, and cut out a curve on the front for a more graceful and less blocky appearance.

The apron is very tall but the curve prevents the cabinet from looking heavy. The curve also makes the storage space more usable. Each shelf has a mixture of different woods.

For shelves I drilled holes in the four legs for shelf pins. To make the shelves I used random stock from my wood pile: some cherry, some canary wood, and some mahogany. I lined the front and back of the shelves with sapele pieces so the shelves would look the same from the front. The sapele edge pieces also stick down outside the shelf pins, so they hold the shelves in place on the pins. This turned out to be a great way to get rid of wood scraps that were languishing in my wood pile. Once the shelves are loaded up, only the front is visible, so the mix of woods makes no difference.

I made one design error: the table is a little bit too deep. I made it to line up with the cabinet to the left, but I forgot that there needs to be clearance for that cabinet’s door to open. I had to shift the left-side cabinet forward away from the wall by 3/4 inch so the door wouldn’t crunch against the table top when opened, and this creates a problem of being able to lose things behind the cabinet.

Removing the equipment from the bottom shelf is a lot of trouble, so the wood used there is a secret.
Here it is loaded with the printer and paper.

My next project is a new dining table, and at this point I don’t have a design, just vague ideas. I also don’t have any wood. I think that project is going to take longer.